RMParadise

It seems you either have yet to login or are not a member of RMP. If you are not yet a member, please feel free to sign up so that you can unlock every feature our forums have to offer. If you have yet to login, please do so soon.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

RMParadise

It seems you either have yet to login or are not a member of RMP. If you are not yet a member, please feel free to sign up so that you can unlock every feature our forums have to offer. If you have yet to login, please do so soon.

RMParadise

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Paradise for RPGMakers.

Welcome everyone to RMP, your very own RPGMaker Paradise.
If you are reading this, that means that you are one of the select few who have been invited to experience our site as a Beta User.
Being a Beta User only requires that you report any bugs and/or problems upon finding them.
You get the chance to have free roam over the boards before they are public and are further up in line for promotions (which will be happening very soon, so stay on your best behavior).
Check out the thread for the RMP Beta Contest. Lets get some new content rolling.
Chat

3 posters

Strange rule about links?

DawningStar
    DawningStar
    I'm a new member :)

Registered on Registered on : 2012-05-29
    Posts Posts : 65
    Rep. Points Rep. Points : 9

Strange rule about links? Empty Strange rule about links?

Post by DawningStar Tue May 29, 2012 10:19 pm

Hello! I was trying to post a few threads down in the resource section when I noticed a strange rule involving links within the site. According to the rule I have to wait one week after registering in order to post links to any site. Rather than just evade the rule and post it with a space I decided to instead ask here wether or not you meant to do this intentionally or not. I don't mind and can understand the point you are coming from when you made this rule, as to keep trolls and spammers off the forums, but knowing how simple it would be to evade it I was wondering if we could instead discuss it!

-Dawningstar
    Omegas7
    Omegas7

Registered on Registered on : 2012-05-25
    Posts Posts : 9
    Rep. Points Rep. Points : 2

Strange rule about links? Empty Re: Strange rule about links?

Post by Omegas7 Wed May 30, 2012 2:40 am

This feature targets bot spammers. The bots don't usually bypass this feature, because:

• This is not a very popular feature. Most of their target sites don't implement this.
    • It is easy for someone to click a link and be directed to their site. But it is by far harder that someone will come, copy, paste, and remove the spaces in the link.

So why is it unlikely that a bot will bypass this measure? Because it makes business harder for them. People are lazy: I would probably never copy and paste a link and remove spaces just to see what it is about.

Now then, this feature is a good idea, but it has a flaw: bot spammers don't tend to post their links as soon as they register. They might register and remain silent for months and then suddenly attack (and this measure only checks for 1 week). Because of this flaw, it might not matter to keep or remove this feature. The best thing would be to prevent bot registrations in the first place (captcha).
    Hyde
    Hyde
    Administrator
    Administrator

Registered on Registered on : 2012-05-18
    Posts Posts : 101
    Rep. Points Rep. Points : 6

Post by Hyde Wed May 30, 2012 3:14 am

Well, Omegas actually cleared things up for me, lol.

Botting was my main reason for this.
    But, Omegas brings up a good point and really made me think about the rule as a whole.

I think I will bring this rule down for now and see how things go.
    DawningStar
    DawningStar

Registered on Registered on : 2012-05-29
    Posts Posts : 65
    Rep. Points Rep. Points : 9

Post by DawningStar Wed May 30, 2012 11:49 am

Thank you, I understand exactally what Omegas means... I had the same reservations about it for those same reasons as well, but I also understand how spammers work and I am glad that this rule is down, even if only temorarily!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 11:18 pm